Q: I would like a recipe for Mango Atchar please.
A: Mango Atchar consists of shredded green mangoes, mixed with spices, left to stand from a couple of hours, to a few days in order to become soft and tender. It is then blended with oil.1kg unripe mangoes
1 cup oil
1t coriander seeds
1t cumin seeds
1t tablespoon mustard seeds
1t tablespoon ground garlic
2T to 4T chilli powde
- Wash the mangoes and wipe dry. Cut into 1cm blocks.
- Mix the salt into the mangoes and allow to stand for about 2 hours.
- Fry the seeds in 1/2 cup of the oil until they are light brown.
- Remove from the oil and grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Put the rest of the oil in a saucepan and heat well. Add all the ground spices and stir for 1 minute. Add the mangoes.
- Stir together over the heat very briefly and remove.
- Place in sterilized jars and seal.
- Use after 2 weeks.
Runs cooking classes throughout the year at its purpose-built cooking studios. Classes are run in the mornings and evenings 7 days a week (subject to a minimum of 12 people). The venue is also popular for corporate events and private functions – team building cooking classes, birthdays, kitchen teas, and dinner parties with a difference.
Our classes are hands-on, where every person gets to participate in the preparation of the dishes. They are also a lot of fun where you not only learn new skills, but get to meet people with similar interests. For corporate groups and teambuilding cooking classes these events are a novel way of creating staff interaction or entertaining clients.